Sunday, June 27, 2010

June 27, 2010

It’s 4:00 AM in Bangkok and some serious thunderstorms are rolling through. Between the storms and the fact that my internal clock thinks it 5:00 PM, I’m wide awake. Guess the rainy season is starting early this year.

One thing I’ve noticed in just two days here – the sun sets early and very quickly. It’s up around 6:00 AM and is hot, hot, hot all day long. It’s full light until around 6:30 and then suddenly completely dark by 7:00. Not the long evenings that we typically have in Boston in the summer.

Went to the Chatachuk Market later this morning. It’s huge and sprawling, selling everything from Pommerian puppies to glass tiles for spa bathrooms to Thai pop CDs. It seems like a jumble at first but it’s actually organized by “subject matter” – housewares, pets, clothing, furniture, etc. For all that, I only bought three small wooden candle holders.

On the way back, I got off at the Siam Square SkyTrain stop. Oh my God – I have seen the promised land and it is the gourmet market hall in the Siam Paragon shopping mall. Fresh produce, prepared foods, aisles and aisles of every food stuff made by man. Lots of Thais doing their weekly shopping, but also lots of expats wandering the aisles in search of foods from home – in my case, peanut butter. Once again, my attempts to buy wine and beer were thwarted – turns out that you can only buy liquor from 11:00 – 2:00 PM and from 5:00 PM to midnight. Not sure why there is an afternoon hiatus, but I was there at 2:30 so no luck. I did manage, however, to find laundry detergent for the front-loading washer in my apartment. You can imagine the pantomime required to make clear that distinction.

Pictures from Chatachuk Market:




The SkyTrain at the Asoke Station




2 comments:

  1. Doug! I'm so glad to see you're writing on your blog! I've enjoyed reading about your adventures so far and am looking forward to lots more! FYI - to post pictures after your blog entries, you can drag and drop them in the white posting box you write in! Hope you're staying cool and able to get some sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DC!!! I can't believe it! you are actually blogging!!! (have I used enough exclamation marks?)
    In all seriousness, I am so happy that your luggage finally made it, that you have found a place to call 'home' and that you have even run into Shangri-La.
    Thanks for posting, it will be really cool to see the other side of the world from your perspective. Stay cool, and as J said - sleep.

    ap

    ReplyDelete