Sunday, July 18, 2010

July 13, 2010

A few quick anecdotes about life here in Bangkok --

Yesterday, after finally getting my work permit, I got back to work just in time for lunch. Tewtip, Jaray, and Phon were heading out, so I joined them. We went to what looks like a dive of a place across the street. You enter past the kitchen, which is basically on the sidewalk, and walk down a long, narrow hallway of less-than-sterile appearance. The hallway opens up into the interior dining room, which looked like it had been bought lock,stock, and barrel from the set of “Gilligan’s Island.” I had the lab moo – minced pork in chili/basil sauce over rice. But the best part about the place was/is the name – “The Love Scene.” There it was, printed across the top of the menu. In fact, those were the only words in English.

And speaking of crossing the street… I’m still getting used to the chaotic traffic. Even on our side street outside the office. There are food stalls on the sidewalk and in the street, cars coming in either direction, and of course the non-stop motorcycle taxis. Somehow it all works and I haven’t seen an accident – yet. Which is a good thing, since 95% of LMG Insurance’s business is personal auto insurance. My technique for crossing the street is to 1) not hesitate but instead to just, as smoothly as possible, insert myself into the general flow, and 2) always keep a Thai person between me and any oncoming metal—be it a car, a tuk-tuk, or a motorcycle.

On the way home from work, I was stopped by a group of seven or eight school boys in their uniforms – probably 12 years old or so. I’m still unclear about when kids go to school here – they seem to be in school uniforms late in the evening and on the weekends. Anyway, they wanted to “interview” me. Basically, it’s a way for them to practice their English skills. I remember running into this same thing years ago in Singapore. But, times have changed. When I said yes, the leader of the group pulled out his iPhone, scrolled through his apps till he got to one that looked like a little recorder, and then started to ask questions. They had a printed list of standard questions to ask – “Where are you from?” “How long have you been here?” “Do you like Thai food?” They took turns asking questions. Each time, the iPhone changed hands and they asked their question into it, then pointed it to me for my answer. Took about five minutes and then the leader took a picture of me with them. Wonder how they submit it to their teacher for credit?

No comments:

Post a Comment